Mini-Conferences perform a valuable function at Division of Plasma Physics (DPP) Annual Meetings. They provide opportunities to focus on areas of research in plasma science and interdisciplinary discourse not ordinarily covered in the regular annual meeting program, and encourages participation from scientists who do not usually attend DPP Meetings. To ensure that Mini-Conferences fulfill their mission, the DPP Program Committee will use the following guidelines when selecting Mini-Conferences and endorsing their programs:
1. The theme of a proposed Mini-Conference must be one that is not ordinarily covered in the regular annual meeting program. A proposal for a Mini-Conference must make a compelling argument why focus on the proposed theme will represent value added to the annual meeting.
2. Mini-Conference organizers may solicit oral contributed presentations. Organizers are encouraged to provide a tentative list of solicited presentations in their proposal, but they should not issue formal solicitations until the Program Committee has approved a Mini-Conference.
3. The oral presentations of a Mini-Conference shall include a combination of solicited and unsolicited papers. Solicited papers should take up no more than 75% of the time allotted for a Mini-Conference.
The Mini-Conference proposal deadline is Wednesday, May 13, 2015. To encourage unsolicited contributions, the approved Mini-Conferences will be announced in June. Mini-Conference organizers must communicate with potential solicited oral contributed presenters.
4. The Program Committee reserves the right to suggest changes in thematic content and to the potential list of presenters for a Mini-Conference to ensure scientific balance and broad participation.
There are a limited number of mini-conferences at annual meetings. Proposals must be submitted to the Program Chair, David Meyerhofer (firstname.lastname@example.org), with a copy to Saralyn Stewart (email@example.com) as early as possible but no later than Wednesday, May 13, 2015.
Please include the following Mini-Conference information in the proposal:
(1) Mini-conference title
(2) List of organizers/affiliations
(3) Potential presenters list
(4) Number of days for contributed talk presentations
(5) Audio visual equipment request
(6) Brief description (include: will, or will not have a poster session)
If a mini-conference is approved for inclusion in the annual meeting program, oral contributed abstracts must be submitted by the Abstract Submission deadline. Select Subject Classification Category 15.0 and include a brief mini-conference title in the Special Instructions. If a poster session is included, posters will be placed in one of the regular poster sessions. Mini-conference presenters are allowed one additional first author abstract submission in the regular annual meeting program.
Note: A mini-conference organizer is required to attend the Sorters Meeting in College Park, Maryland. Mini-conference presenters must pay the DPP annual meeting registration fee.